Hey rebels! I hope everyone’s having a great start to SUMMER ’17. This recipe is a great way for all of my vegetarian friends (and normal friends) to get their protein in. The batter of these bad boys simply consists of cooked quinoa and an egg (or egg white). This provides you with a whopping 14 grams of complete, high quality protein! Which means that you’re getting all 9 essential amino acids in every bite. Consumption of complete protein contributes to increased protein utilization in the body, especially the muscle. Make sure you’re getting those essential aa’s in there somewhere, because our body can’t make them on their own.
I came up with this recipe in college (go noles) when I was poor and needed to get my protein in post-workout. I wanted something more substantial than my usual vanilla protein shake. I would spent so long flattening out the patty with my spatula, trying to get it as thin as possible so the finished product would be crunchier. Now, I usually accept the softness of them and treat it like more of a savory pancake than a crisp, thin chip. But, as you know, you can do whatever you want with it, YOU REBEL YOU. Also- feel free to add whatever toppings you’d like– I used to heap a spoonful of lemon garlic hummus. I really hope you all enjoy these, as they hold a special place in my heart.
Now onto the recipe–
For quinoa cakes:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg whites)
- Herbs of your choice (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For avocado herb dressing:
For this dressing, I used my Parsley Lemon Tahini Dressing recipe, but added 1/4 cup cashews and 1 whole avocado for extra creaminess. Remember, add oil, water, or lemon juice until it’s at your desired consistency. It definitely will be too thick at first.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients (all except garlic and olive oil) in a mixing bowl until all 1 consistency.
- Heat medium saute pan with olive oil, until oil starts to smoke. Add minced garlic and stir for 1 min, or until garlic browns.
- Add half of the quinoa/egg mixture to the center of the pan and spread into a large, thin circle. Cover, and let cook for about 2 minutes.
PRO TIP: flatten cake out as much as possible if you want it to be crispier– the flatter you get it, the crispier it will be.
- While this is cooking, prepare the avocado herb dressing by combining all ingredients and blending in food processor. (Parsley Lemon Tahini Dressing)
- Once quinoa cake has been cooking for approx. 2 mins, flip, and cook for another couple minutes, or until both sides are slightly browned.
- Once this is cooked thoroughly, slide onto a plate and cut into 4 pieces. Pour dressing on top and add desired toppings– I used some garlic red pepper sauce, fresh basil, fresh parsley, and crumbled feta. Enjoy!